Based on several recent posts, I found a new case, which I like quite a bit. My thanks to Dan Naumov for the concept.
- LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case $240 (from mwave)
- Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU $80
- Samsung SATA CD/DVD Burner $20 (+ $8 shipping)
- Intel S3200SHV LGA 775 Intel 3200 m/b $200
- Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 CPU $190
- SATA cables $22
- Supermicro LSI MegaRAID 8 Port SAS RAID Controller $118
- Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC $97
Total cost is about $1020 with shipping.
Or, perhaps the Silencer 610 EPS12V from PC Power and Cooling.
I could also do this M/B and CPU. However Newegg doesn’t mentioned ECC for this board. Moses has this board. ASUS has issued an updated BIOS that handles ECC. He will try ECC soon and report back.
- AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad CPU for $150
- MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard for $170
That motherboard/CPU would have more power and I/O compared the Intel board.
This would be $320 versus $390, a savings of $70. That savings might go towards a better NIC. The M/B has a Realtek built-in. I’d rather have something like an Intel or a Broadcom.
I could also go with two SYBA SY-PEX40008 PCI Express SATA II 4 port for $60 each for roughly the same price as the Supermicro RAID card.