This is the current thinking for my soon-to-be-built storage server.
I should consult freebsd-hardware first.
- Athena Power CA-SWH01BH8 Pedestal case
- The above case comes with two of these backplanes
- close up photos of that backplane
- mother board? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130136 was suggseted.
- m/b will either need 8 SATA connections or room for several cheap SATA controllers
- power supply, probably dependent upon the M/B but has to be grunty enough for 8xHDD
- 4GB RAM?
- HDD: SATA 3.0GB/s – probably one of the below
- SAMSUNG F1 RAID Class HE103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″
- Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
- Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS 1.5TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″
Probably the SAMSUNG F1: their TLER/ERC is set to 7 seconds.
Of interest for WD drives: WDTLER.EXE
Oh, and I’ve been thinking of using FreeNAS.