For the file server, perhaps one of these three combinations:
- Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 4@$300 – $1200 8TB or $150/TB
- SAMSUNG F1 RAID Class HE103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ 4@$150 – $600 4TB or $150/TB
- Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ 4@$160 – $640 or $160/TB
Also in this system would be a gmirrored pair of HDD for the base OS. I’d rather run the system off non-ZFS for now. I have two such drives at home (amongst others).
I’m also considering adding a small SSD for L2ARC:
- OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5″ 30GB SATA II MLC $135
- Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5″ 40GB SATA II MLC $130
Perhaps this video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129042
And perhaps I’ll get 12GB of RAM.
Also considering this HP box: HP ProLiant ML150
Other random products:
- LSI SAS3041E-R Storage controller (RAID)- Serial ATA-300 / SAS- 300 MBps
- SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCI Express SATA II Controller Card
- ASUS Model PCIE GEN2 SATA6G Expansion Card
- SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card