I have been pondering buying some new HDD lately. Price/GB isn’t the only metric. But I did up a list of the short candidates, but before you buy, read below.
I should mention all the links below go to Newegg, only because that’s where I was searching. They may not be the best price, but they have a reputation of making sure that links don’t die 6 months after I pasted them. Yeah, why use prices that aren’t necessarily the cheapest? Well, because I did. That’s why.
|Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001||$139.99||3||0.04557|
|TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB||$157.27||3||0.05119|
|TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB||$109.99||2||0.05371|
|Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001||$109.99||2||0.05371|
|Seagate Barracuda ST1500DM003||$99.99||1.5||0.06510|
|TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB||$74.99||1||0.07323|
|Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003||79.99||1||0.07812|
|Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002||$59.99||0.5||0.11717|
|TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 500GB||$61.98||0.5||0.12105|
|Western Digital WD Black WD5003AZEX||$84.99||0.5||0.16600|
Based on this, the Seagate is the best buy. But I’ve heard good things, 3rd hand, regarding Toshiba and its implementation of TLER. Storage forums ranting about them being used in ZFS arrays.
But price isn’t everything
I was tempted by the Toshiba drive specs over the Seagate specs. Mostly because of the TLER and ZFS reputation. I was quite prepared to pay the extra $17.28 per drive. Then diizy mentioned they were $140 at ServerSupply. So price is no longer a factor.
I was asked if I was going to do zfsboot with this array. Yes, yes, I am.
But if I wanted to get another couple of HDD for booting, I’d need a SATA card, because all six ports on the M/B would be filled. I’m basing this array in this gateway box I described earlier. Here are some of the items mentioned:
- SYBA SD-PEX40049 Flex-2-port SATA III 6Gbps PCIe Card for $24
- SYBA SY-PEX40039 PCI-Express 2.0 SATA III for $23
- IO Crest 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Card for $17
- 2 Port eSATA 3.0 & 2 Port SATA 3.0 combo to PCI-E PCI Express Card Adapter Converter ASMEDIA ASM1061 Chipset 6.0Gbps for $15
- IBM – SERVERAID M1015 8CHANNEL PCI-E X8 SAS/SATA RAID CONTROLLER WITHOUT BRACKET(46M0861) for $115
- LSI SAS 2008 RAID Controller/ HBA Information
- LSI SAS 2108 RAID Controller Information and Listing
- LSI SAS 2208 RAID Controller Information and Listing
- LSI SAS 2308 RAID Controller – HBA Information and Listing
I think I’ll be ordering those Toshiba drives later today.