Jun 082019
 

Back in the good old days, I managed my DNS zones files by checking them into the repo, and then running svn up on the name servers. When I started using Let’s Encrypt, I stopped doing that because of the use of nsupdate.

This post outlines how I added two new zones to my nameservers:

  • vbsdcon.org
  • vbsdcon.com

The zone files

Here is the zone I created.

$ cat vbsdcon.org.db
vbsdcon.org.		3600	IN	SOA	ns1.unixathome.org. soa.unixathome.org. 2019060400 10800 1800 1209600 86400
vbsdcon.org.		3600	IN	NS	ns1.unixathome.org.
vbsdcon.org.		3600	IN	NS	ns2.unixathome.org.
vbsdcon.org.		3600	IN	NS	ns3.unixathome.org.
vbsdcon.org.		600	IN	A	162.208.116.97
vbsdcon.org.		600	IN	MX	10 in1-smtp.messagingengine.com.
vbsdcon.org.		600	IN	MX	20 in2-smtp.messagingengine.com.
vbsdcon.org.		600	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 ~all"
vbsdcon.org.		600	IN	SPF	"v=spf1 ~all"
www.vbsdcon.org.	600	IN	A	162.208.116.97

The vbsdcon.com.db file looked very similar.

First, I copied these file to dns-hidden-master:

[dan@mydev:~/dns-public-BRANCH] $ scp vbsdcon.com.db vbsdcon.org.db zones.primary zones.primary.for.secondary.servers dns-hidden-master:
vbsdcon.com.db                         100%  508     1.2MB/s   00:00    
vbsdcon.org.db                         100%  508     1.6MB/s   00:00    
zones.primary                          100% 6926    11.7MB/s   00:00    
zones.primary.for.secondary.servers    100% 4536    10.6MB/s   00:00    
[dan@mydev:~/dns-public-BRANCH] $ 

On my dns-hidden-master server, I added these files to /usr/local/etc/namedb/working/zones:

[dan@dns-hidden-master:/usr/local/etc/namedb/working/zones] $ sudo cp -i ~/vbsdcon.* .

I adjusted the ownership:

$ sudo chown bind:bind vbsdcon.*
$ ls -l vbsdcon.*
-rw-r--r--  1 bind  bind  508 Jun  4 18:19 vbsdcon.com.db
-rw-r--r--  1 bind  bind  508 Jun  4 18:19 vbsdcon.org.db

The zone configuration files

In my named.conf file, I have this line:

include "zones.primary";

or perhaps:

include "zones.primary.for.secondary.servers";

On my secondary servers, here is the patch which shows what I added for my new zones:

+zone "vbsdcon.com" {
+	type master;
+	file "zones/vbsdcon.com.db";
+	allow-transfer { AllowZoneTransfer; };
+	update-policy  { grant certs.int.unixathome.com zonesub TXT; };
+	also-notify    { SlaveServersToNotify; };
+};
+
+zone "vbsdcon.org" {
+	type master;
+	file "zones/vbsdcon.org.db";
+	allow-transfer { AllowZoneTransfer; };
+	update-policy  { grant certs.int.unixathome.org zonesub TXT; };
+	also-notify    { SlaveServersToNotify; };
+};
+

And for secondaries:

+zone "vbsdcon.org" {
+	type slave;
+	file "secondary/vbsdcon.org.db";
+	masters { HiddenMaster; };
+	allow-transfer { AllowZoneTransfer; };
+	notify no;
+};
+
+zone "vbsdcon.com" {
+	type slave;
+	file "secondary/vbsdcon.com.db";
+	masters { HiddenMaster; };
+	allow-transfer { AllowZoneTransfer; };
+	notify no;
+};
+

I reloaded named on dns-hidden-master via:

service named reload

I did similar on each DNS host so they could pick up the new zone files.

This seems to have worked, but I may have missed a step in my documentation above.

Website Pin Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google StumbleUpon Premium Responsive