I think I may have to put together a new server. For home use.
Here is what I’m thinking of getting:
- SUPERMICRO MBD-H8SGL-O ATX Server Motherboard : $224.99
- AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz 8 x 512KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server : $259.99
- Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 Server Memory : 4 x $59.99 = $239.96
- PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W power supply : $99.99
- SYBA SD-PEX40054 PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) HyperDuo 4-port RAID Controller Card : 2 x $41.99 = $83.98
- Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB : 8 x $114.99 = $919.92
- Western Digital WD Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive : 2 x $49.99 = $99.98
- LIAN LI PC-A70F USB3.0 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case : $189.99
Total cost: $2118.80
I last built a similar system over two years ago. The price on that page ($1,040) does not include HDD, which was about $1200 once I got everything.
I’ll be installing FreeBSD 9 on this system and creating a large ZFS raidz2 pool from the HDD listed above. Given 8x2TB = 16TB of space, but you lose two HDD for parity, so I’ll have 12TB of usable space. What will I do with it? The two smaller HDD are the base OS, running on a gmirror unit.
So the prices are similar, but this should be a hardier box.
Any comments on the choices? I think all the components are compatible. Any suggestions?