I started looking around for guides for creating a zfsroot. Here is what I’ve glanced at so far, along with some of my comments.
I plan to create an 8 drive array, running raidz2.
- FreeBSD wiki page – seems OK
- ZFS-only booting by Ollivier Robert – based on 8.0, but I need to read it through again
- OPTIMIZED FOR 4K-SECTOR DRIVES – interesting, but not set up the way I want my system
- ROOT ON ZFS FREEBSD 9 (NON LEGACY MOUNTPOINT – 4K OPTIMIZED) – lots of smaller file systems, some tweaked. Interesting ideas.
- FreeBSD full ZFS Root from bsdinstall – YouTube video. I want to watch this.
- Does gpart -a 4096 improve performance on a WD 4k sector disk? – A FreeBSD Forums discussion about various things to consider.
- gnop – no link, but stuff I need to learn more about!
- How PJD lays out his filesystem
Lots of reading…