May 102015
 

I recently implemented Fail2ban on a FreeBSD jail host. It monitors log files within the jails, from the host. Offensive IP addresses which act up in one jail will be blocked at the host, thus blocking the rascal IP from all jails. This has been running for about two weeks. Today I added another tool, […]

May 102015
 

I felt I was backing up way too much on my jail server. I was backing up files which would be installed as part of the OS. Let’s look at the esimate: *estimate level=full job=”slocum jail snapshots” Using Catalog “MyCatalog” Connecting to Client slocum-fd at slocum.int.unixathome.org:9102 2000 OK estimate files=2,824,716 bytes=239,568,332,325 * I decided to […]

Apr 172015
 

I noticed this tonight: {:timestamp=>”2015-04-18T01:01:54.363000+0000″, :message=>”Failed parsing date from field”, :field=>”syslog_timestamp”, :value=>”Apr 18 01:01:49″, :exception=>java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid format: “Apr 18 01:01:49″ is malformed at ” 18 01:01:49″, :level=>:warn} It seems this is the cause: For the record, here are all such instances: One day, I’ll come back here and fix that.

Mar 292015
 

I have no idea when I wrote this. It got saved but never published, until today. I recently had the boot drive at one of my servers change. It’s really a VM on a box, but at least it’s running FreeBSD. To fix it, I got a VNC session going to their server, and was […]

Mar 282015
 

I wrote this back in July 2013, but never published it. Might as well share it now. Lately, I’ve been moving away from tracking FreeeBSD STABLE and more towards using freebsd-update(8). Today, I’ll be setting up a jail, using ezjail and freebsd-update. ############## NOTE: Please read the comments before you read the article. ############## Installing […]

Mar 282015
 

This is an old post I wrote, but never published, back in 2010. I’ve started using Munin for some statistical monitoring. Using the hddtemp_smartctl plugin, I was getting some permission errors. After printing the output of the command, I noticed these in the logs: 2010/03/11-18:30:05 [60845] [ERROR] Command /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/ad8 on drive ad8 failed: […]

Mar 142015
 

Last night I upgraded the main jail server in my lab from FreeBSD 9.3 to FreeBSD 10.1. I just started using the term, home lab, after discovering http://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/. That server contains, amongst other things, these jails: my development environment for http://dev.freshports.org/ my in house webserver, which hosts the above mentioned website my svn repo an […]